from Extraordinary Health Magazine Volume 24
Roasted Mixed Vegetables
• 2 portobello mushroom caps
• 2 zucchini, cut crosswise into 1⁄2-inch-thick slices
• 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut lengthwise into sixths
• 8 ounces asparagus, tough ends removed
• 1 small eggplant, cut crosswise into 1⁄2-inch-thick slices
• 3⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
• 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
• salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 375o F. Place the mushrooms, zucchini, bell pepper, asparagus and eggplant in a large baking pan. Add the olive oil, vinegar, rosemary and salt and pepper, to taste, tossing to coat well. Place in the preheated oven and roast, turning occasionally, until the vegetables are nicely colored but still crisp-tender, about 15 minutes. Slice the mushroom caps and serve with the other vegetables.
For a Southwestern flavor, replace the rosemary with 1 Tablespoon chili powder, 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin and 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
Quick Crunchy Cereal
• 1⁄2 cup chopped raw, unsalted walnuts
• 1⁄4 unsweetened coconut flakes
• 1/3 cup fresh berries
• 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
Combine the walnuts, coconut flakes and berries in a cereal bowl. Add the milk and stir to combine. Serve.
Green Mango, Watercress and Arugula Salad
• juice of 3 limes
• 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
• 5 drops liquid stevia
• 4 red birds’ eye chiles or other small, hot red chiles,
seeded and minced, or to taste
• 10 ounces watercress sprigs, tough ends removed
• 3 ounces baby arugula
• 2 large green mangos, peeled and cut into julienne strips
• 1 Tablespoon toasted black sesame seeds, optional
Combine the lemon juice, sesame oil and stevia in a small bowl. Add the chiles and stir to combine. Season with salt, to taste.
Set aside. Combine the watercress and arugula in a large mixing bowl. Toss the mango strips with the greens. Pour the reserved sauce over the top and toss to combine. Mound equal portions
of the salad in the center of each of six salad plates. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired, and serve.
Spicy Chicken Burgers with Guacamole
• 1 pound ground chicken
• 1 large egg white
• 1 jalapeño or other hot green chile, seeded and minced, or to taste
• 3 Tablespoons minced red bell pepper
• 2 Tablespoons minced scallion
• 1 teaspoon ground dried chiles, such as ancho
• 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
• salt and pepper
• 1 cup guacamole (recipe follows)
Preheat and oil the grill; alternatively, preheat a stovetop grill pan
or a heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium-high heat. Combine the chicken with the egg white, using your hands to blend. Add the fresh chile, bell pepper, scallion, ground chiles and cumin. Again, using your hands, mix well to blend. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and form the mix into 4 patties of equal size. Place the burgers on the preheated grill (or stovetop pan) and grill for 5 minutes. Turn and grill for another 4 minutes for well done. Remove from the grill and serve, topped with about 1⁄4 cup guacamole.
• 2 medium avocados, peeled, pitted and mashed
• juice of 1 lime
• 1⁄4 cup chopped tomato
• 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 Tablespoons chopped scallion
• 1 teaspoon minced seeded jalapeño or other hot green chile, or to taste
• salt and pepper
Combine the avocado, lime juice, tomato, cilantro, scallion and chile
in a medium bowl and mix well to blend. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.