Trying new diets can be tough: all those things to avoid, to eat more of, new ingredients to buy. It’s enough to drive anyone bonkers. But there’s one way of eating that’s been gaining momentum lately — the ketogenic, or “keto,” diet and its keto recipes.
The keto diet is one of the most effective that I’ve come across and one of the more straightforward (as opposed to easy!) to follow. In a nutshell, when you’re on a keto diet, you eat a very low-carb, high-fat diet. That means goodbye pasta and bread, hello cheese and oils. It’s pretty much the opposite of what we’ve been taught our entire lives. But it works if you follow the food list.
What makes the keto diet work so well is that, with little glucose from carbohydrates in our bodies, we have to burn something else — fat — for energy. The keto diet can cause the body to burn fat quite quickly (hurray!).
But even if you’re not trying to lose weight, the keto diet might appeal to you. By limiting sugars and processed grains, you lower your risk of type 2 diabetes. Eating an array of heart-healthy fats, like nuts, olive oil and fish, can decrease your risk of heart disease. And while some people stick to a super strict keto diet, with 75 percent of their diet coming from fat, 20 percent from protein and just 5 from carbs, even a less intense, modified version can help you reap the keto diet’s benefits.
But eating keto doesn’t mean eating just any kind of fat or stuffing your face with ice cream. Instead, it’s about mindfully choosing foods that are high in healthy fats and low in carbs. If you’re not sure where to begin, have no fear. There are some really delicious, good-for-you keto recipes out there that are begging to be eaten.
1. Avocado Deviled Eggs
On the keto diet, sometimes you fall into a pattern of eating a lot of cheese and other dairy products like sour cream and mayonnaise to get all of your necessary daily fats. This avocado deviled eggs recipe gives you the nutrients you need without the dairy for a nice change in the pattern.
- 4–6 eggs
- 1 avocado
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika, optional*
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- In a medium pot add eggs and cover with water until fully submerged.
- Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and cover for 12–13 minutes.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water and, using a slotted spoon, gently place eggs in the bowl, allowing eggs to chill for 5 minutes.
- Remove outer casing from eggs and slice in half lengthwise, removing the yolk.
- Add the yolk, along with the avocado and spices to a bowl, mixing together until well combined.
- Add the mixture to the egg halves.
- Drizzle with lime juice and top with cilantro.
2. Chocolate Fat Bombs
Fat Bombs are AWESOME. They are an easy way to increase your fat intake, especially when you’re new to the Low Carb Ketogenic way of eating.
You simply whisk together nourishing high fat ingredients (in this case butter and cream cheese) and then add your flavorings of choice. In this instance I went with CHOCOLATE!
You’ll discover these fat bombs are incredibly rich and oh so chocolatey, so limiting yourself to one indulgent treat a day is easily savoured and every morsel sublimely enjoyed.
- 4.4 Ounces Cream Cheese
- 4.4 Ounces Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Cacao Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Sweetener of Choice (Or more to taste)
- Place the cream cheese and butter into a large bowl and allow to soften gently at room temperature.
- When softened beat briefly with an electric whisk then add the cacao powder and your sweetener of choice.
- Beat until smooth.
- Get out Mini Baking Cups and place 1-2 teaspoons of the mixture into each cup.
- Place into the fridge to firm and enjoy!
3. Keto Bread: A Low-Carb Bread Recipe
- 1½ cups almond flour
- 6 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3–4 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Add the cream of tartar to the egg white mixture and, using a hand mixer, whip the eggs until soft peaks are formed.
- Add the almond flour, butter, baking soda, apple cider vinegar and coconut flour to a food processor, blending until well-incorporated.
- Place the mix into a bowl and gently fold in the egg white mixture.
- Grease an 8×4 loaf pan and pour in the bread mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- *Note: can use 3 teaspoons baking powder instead of ¾ teaspoon baking soda and 3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
If you’re following a keto diet, this keto bread recipe is definitely a must-know! It’s also a Paleo bread recipe and a gluten-free bread recipe. But even if you’re not following any of these diets, I think you’ll want to give this bread a try because it’s not only healthy, but absolutely delicious and easy to make at home.
As you may know from reading my other articles, increasing your intake of healthy proteins and fats with a recipe like keto bread can really do wonders for your energy levels and so much more. Let’s take a look at why this may easily be a contender for the best bread recipe ever.